Tuesday 28 January 2014

Book Review: The Rosie Project








WTD Rating: 3.5 stars
Quick Advice: An easy and enjoyable read despite a problematic characterization of an individual with Asberger's Syndrome.
Warning: Mild Plot Spoilers (AKA I discuss a few events in the book without ruining the ending)

The Rosie Project
Source: chrisbookarama

I feel like I heard so much about Graeme Simsion’s debut novel The Rosie Project this summer. I bought Where’d You Go Bernadette for a girlfriend’s birthday and the cashier said upon seeing my selection “have you read The Rosie Project? I think you’d like it too!” Ever since then I've been wanting to read it! I bought The Rosie Project for my mom for Christmas who read it with her book club and passed it on to me last week. At the same time she also gave me The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. When I asked her which to read first she said “The Rosie Project is an easy read but I have to say I preferred The 100 Year Old Man”. She didn’t elaborate but my hunch is that being a retired social work professor her reaction to The Rosie Project may be in part due to what I noted as a highly problematic oversimplification of an individual with Asperger’s syndrome. 

Love this hardcover copy of the book!
Source: tea-drinkingbookloverdiary

It seems readers either loved or hated this book but the vast majority of Goodreads readers seemed to love it! Reactions range from overwhelming admiration to shameful disgust in regards to how Simsion characterized the protagonist Professor Don Tillman. Don is a Professor, researcher, excellent cook, enthusiastic drinker and karate blackbelt who lives by a strict, unflinching schedule until he realizes its time to find himself a wife and thus begins The Wife Project and the total upheaval of his structured, predictable life.

Don is an indivudual who is living with Asperger’s syndrome. I don’t have a comprehensive understanding of Asperger’s syndrome however a google search of legitimate sources explains that it is an “autism spectrum disorder (ASD) considered to be on the “high functioning” end of the spectrum” (Austism Speaks). The Mayo Clinic (a great go-to medical source) states “Asperger's syndrome is a developmental disorder that affects a person's ability to socialize and communicate effectively with others” (The Mayo Clinic). Asperger’s is a neurological condition that is more common in males and is regarded as a developmental disorder. According to Behaviour Consultant, "idiosyncratic interests are common and may take the form of an unusual and/or highly circumscribed interest (e.g., in train schedules, snakes, the weather, deep-fry cookers, or telegraph pole insulators)" (Behaviour Consultant).  Simsion certainly integrates the social behaviours and the idiosyncratic interests into Don's character in The Rosie Project.

Don is never diagnosed with Asperger’s and never self-identifies as having the syndrome in The Rosie Project. However, Asperger’s comes up frequently in the text through Don’s research in genetics. When he finishes a presentation on Asperger’s in the beginning of the text the facilitator says pointedly to him: “remind you of anyone?”. Late in the text he does list his symptoms without coming to any concrete conclusions; he actually uses his symptoms as a method of analyzing what he needs to change in order to “get the girl”. This approach was really disappointing to me as a reader. Instead of having to change to find love I wish Don could have found love as himself. He accepts and loves Rosie despite being unsuitable for The Wife Project however he realizes that he will never be suitable to a woman without purposefully altering his social behaviour. 

Simsion’s explains his characterization of Don in an interview stating: “I didn’t want Don to be a syndrome. I wanted a living, walking character” (Library Journal).  The NY Times review states that Simsion “reminds us that people who are neurologically atypical have many of the same concerns as the rest of us: companionship, ethics, alcohol” (The New York Times). Obviously, my interpretation is completely opposite to that of Simsion and the NY Times. Where they see a normalization humanization of an "atypical" human being I see an author using stereotypical behaviour before manipulating and changing a character for the end result: love.

The Goodreads synopsis calls The Rosie Project “an international sensation, this hilarious, feel-good novel is narrated by an oddly charming and socially challenged genetics professor” (Goodreads). Truthfully, I can’t say I “felt good” after finishing it; I felt unsatisfied. Even the use of the descriptor “oddly charming” is a problematic to me. Why do we need to use language like "odd"? Instead of breaking down barriers and raising awareness Simsion deeks, ducks and avoids the critical issues raised by the book. After the first chapter I said to my boyfriend, Don is Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory. Think about it: ShelDON. We find his quirks and personality traits “funny” and laugh at him when he makes inappropriate comments in public or has a chair or spot he has to sit in. Both characters are  “weird” and unfortunately society likes to laugh at weirdness instead of trying to accept and understand. Don Tillman is the literary Sheldon Cooper who studies genetics instead of Physics and makes his own food on a strict weekly schedule instead of eating pre-determined takeout.  All I can hear in my head now is Sheldon's vhoice exclaming "on Friday nights we eat Chinese food!"

Don's Sexy Literary Look-a-Like Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck)

Despite the problematic portrayal of the main character I have to say The Rosie Project can be very endearing at times. For a novel that was supposed to be a screenplay and was written in only four weeks Simsion accomplishes a lot. The book is wildly popular and is making its rounds throughout the world. The three focal projects: The Wife Project, The Father Project and The Rosie Project are all entertaining and I thorougly enjoyed the simple structure of the book. On the surface, The Rosie Project is an easy and enjoyable read. I liked the chemistry between Don and Rosie and the adventures they experience together are funny and charming. I felt a fondness and appreciation for Don and they way he lives his life. I don’t discourage you from reading the book I simply want to re-enforce what I always enforce as an English major; read critically and always ask questions! 

PS: If you loved The Rosie Project comment or tweet us! We love a good book discussion and welcome your thoughts and feedback.





No comments:

Post a Comment